Congratulations to the newly elected 2018-2019 Prefects and Students Representative Council (SRC) of Ghana International School. After a period of nominations, intense interviews and campaigns, winners of the various positions were inducted at a ceremony on Monday 5th February 2018.
At Ghana International School, prefects serve as a monitoring body and are elected by the entire secondary school after a campaign period. Students with good academic and behaviour records may stand for elections.
The Student Representative Council is responsible for organizing school events such as debates, quizzes and school parties just to mention a few. These representatives are elected to serve on the Council for the academic year. From these representatives, an Executive committee consisting of a Chair, Vice- Chair, Secretary, PRO and Treasurer are elected.
The Principal, Dr Mary Ashun urged the student body to respect those they have elected to power as they have been empowered to represent the school’s authorities. Student leaders were also advised to set good examples as leaders and were asked not to abuse their positions.
GIS annually practices a system of democracy by electing prefects for the school. The electoral committee, made up of the Vice Principal and three other teachers vet the nominated candidates chosen by their peers. Successful aspirants are given 2 days to campaign and then they present their manifestos to the student body on the third day.
At the end of the voting process, the electoral body meticulously goes through the counting process. Here are the elected prefects for the 2018-2019 academic year.
GIS 2018-2019 PREFECTS
NAME OF STUDENT POSITION
– ELLIS BROWN – HEAD BOY
– NAA AYORKOR HARDING – HEAD GIRL
– SELASI L. AZUMAH – BOYS’ SANCTIONS
– AMA A. KYEREMATENG GIRLS’ SANCTIONS
– JOEL PREMPEH – BOYS’ SPORTS
– AMANDA BOSSO – GIRLS’ SPORTS
– KWADWO ANSONG ANNOR – TUTORIAL
– EFUA AMOA BONSU – LIBRARY
– DENZIL OCTEREH – GROUNDS & FURNITURE
– MAXWELL KWAME AKRASI – ASSEMBLY
– MAAME PEASAH-BOADU – ENTERTAINMENT
– MARCUS AVRAAM – CO-CURRICULAR
– DYLAN JOEL AWUAH DARKO – CANTEEN
2018-2019 GIS S.R.C. EXECUTIVES
– PRESIDENT – NANA YIRENKYI OFORI ATTA
– VICE PRESIDENT – JAYNE-ELLE BOAKYE-DANQUAH-ADU
– SECRETARY – ANNA BORBI
– TREASURER – SIPA ACKAH BLAY
– 1ST P.R.O – KEVIN SINCLAIR
– 2ND P.R.O – ELLIOT ADU-AWUAH