Thanks to our strong track record in delivering the English National and Cambridge curricular to our diverse student community, demand for a place at Ghana International School is highly competitive.
It is advised to apply as early as possible as demand for places is high.
The preconditions for admission are that:
- The applicant is of appropriate age.
- The applicant's needs can, in the opinion of the Principal, be managed within the School's provision.
- The present School (if applicable) reports satisfactory attitudes and conduct on the part of the child and parent(s).
- Fees (if applicable) at the present school have been paid up in full.
- The family have maintained a satisfactory payment history for siblings already admitted to G.I.S.
- Prospective parents meet with the Head of Admissions or are interviewed via Skype
- Parents/Guardians undertake a tour of the School (actual or virtual).
- From September 2017, Parents/Guardians have agreed to sign up to the School's Parent Contract, including a Home/School contract outlining mutual support, responsibilities and support for the School and its policies and decisions
All applications are to be submitted to the Office of Admissions located in the administration block in the Secondary School or online to email@example.com
Application forms can be obtained from the website.
As soon as the completed application is received, the file will undergo a detailed review by the Office of Admissions, Academic Management and (if applicable) Counsellor and the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo). All applications go to the Principal for final approval. Applications will be acknowledged within the week. You will be notified by e-mail, so please ensure that all contact information on the application is correct.
If your application has been unsuccessful, you will be notified by email and required to indicate your intent to remain on the waiting list for the coming academic year.
Please find below the steps in the admissions process to help guide you through.
Step 1 : Completing the Application
- From January 2017, all our applications are online ONLY. Please see button at the bottom of this page to begin the application process (including downloading the Application Guide).
- Pay the registration fee online (see preferred options in Guide) or pay at your bank, into GIS Account (see details in Guide). No other payment is required at this point. The fee is $100 (USD) for all applications (Nursery to Sixth Form)
NB: The School is unable to proceed with an application without all of step 1 being in place.
Step 2: Entrance Exams
- English is the language of instruction therefore entrance exams are conducted in English
- Entry assessments for Nursery, Reception and Class One take place in April.
- Class 2 to Class 6 entry assessments take place in June.
- Secondary school entrance exams take place in May
- -Forms One to Three are tested in Maths and English
- -Form Four students are tested in Maths, English and Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) and, if a student wants to study a language (e.g. French or Spanish), he or she will be tested in that subject
- Non-resident applicants may request to be tested in their country of residence. Please contact the Office of Admissions for more information.
- Results and recommendations will be submitted to the Office of Admissions for evaluation.
- From 2017, prospective locally domiciled students are required to spend a day in the year group to which they have applied. This is to enable teachers to observe pupils in the school setting and fully assess whether G.I.S. can meet their needs. Non-resident applicants should kindly contact the Admissions Office for information.
Step 3: Acceptance/ Denial of Placement
The decision to make an offer of admissions is always approved by the Principal
- After assessment, all applicants will receive written feedback on their performance. Parents/Guardians will receive notification by e-mail on whether their child will be offered a place or not.
Step 4: Registration and Payment of Fees
- Once your child has received acceptance into the school, the appropriate registration and tuition fee payment must be paid by 30th June in the year of entry. When payment is made at any one of our designated banks (please see fee schedule), the deposit slip must be submitted to the Accounts Office as proof of payment.
- When the deposit slip from the bank is presented, an official receipt will be issued from the school.
- The Office of Admissions issues a ‘blue form’ which is taken to the sectional office on the student’s first day.
- A ‘Welcome to GIS’ pack is given by the Office of Admissions
*Please note that all monetary transactions must be done through the Cashier, located on the second floor of the Administration Block.
Step 5: Preparing for School
- Parents can purchase fabric for uniforms from the School stores located on the ground floor of the Administration Block. Physical Education kits should also be purchased from the School stores.
Step 6: Homeroom, Subjects, and Timetable
- Students will be assigned a homeroom/class and provided with a timetable
- Orientation and mentoring will be provided. A “Welcome to GIS” package will be given to new students on the first day of school.
- New students from Class One to Sixth Form will be assigned a peer mentor/buddy.
In instances when a family will leave the School for a period and wish to hold a place, the full tuition fees need to be paid for the period of absence. Failure to do so will mean that a place will be lost. Placements may be held for a maximum of one academic year.
If a family wish to defer an application, the Office of Admissions needs to be informed in writing. Deferment may affect the success or rejection of an application due to the availability of spaces in the various year groups and sections.
For further information, please contact the Admissions Office on 0302 777 7163. Alternatively email: firstname.lastname@example.org